How to Become a Volunteer Teacher
Sitar Arts Center volunteer faculty should have a deep appreciation for the arts with at least three years of educational training or professional experience in their artistic field, have a strong desire to share that experience with children, and have a strong commitment to diversity and community.
Volunteer teachers commit approximately one hour per week to teaching each semester during afterschool hours (between 4:00 PM and 8:00 PM) or on Saturday mornings (between 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM). Semesters follow the DC Public School schedule and run for between 14 and 16 weeks.
Those new to teaching or new to working with children are welcomed at Sitar Arts Center, as it is a learning place for all. New teachers have many options which include co-teaching and assistant teaching, as well as being the lead instructor in a class. New teachers have the opportunity to attend Sitar teacher workshops and can also request to be matched with a more experienced teacher for advice on teaching issues and curriculum development.
Submit the application by the following deadlines:
Spring Semester: November 15th
Summer Semester: April 15th
Fall Semester: July 15th
If the deadline has passed, applications will then be accepted on a rolling basis as needed.
Requirements for Volunteers
To become a volunteer, you must:
- Complete an Audition/Portfolio Review (one-time).
- Authorize Sitar to do a background check (one-time). Click here for the authorization form.
- Schedule an interview with a Sitar staff member (one-time).
- Get a TB test (must renew every two years). Click here to find out how to get a TB test.
- Attend an volunteer training (annually).
- Submit a course description and syllabus (each semester).
For more information about volunteering, contact Rob Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 797-2145, ext. 105.